Do you want a cheap multimeter for home or personal use? If you need a multimeter to measure AC-DC voltage, DC current, resistance, Continuity, and Diode test, then the Craftsman multimeter will be a great choice for you. After analyzing several multimeter models from Craftsman brands, we have selected 3, and these are the best Craftsman multimeters on the market. In this Craftsman multimeter review article, We’ve discussed them further as follows.
Related: Top 10 Best Fluke Multimeter Reviews
Currently, there are lots of multimeters on the market. Some have questionable quality, while others are just excellent. Before buying a digital multimeter, you should take a look at the different models and brands available on the market. Acquiring a low-quality or less reliable meter won’t give you accurate readings.
Top 3 Best Craftsman Multimeter Comparison Table
|Images||Craftsman Multimeter||Voltage||Price Idea|
|Editors ChoiceCheck Price||Craftsman 34-82141 Digital Multimeter with 8 Functions and 20 Ranges|
|Up to 600V||Low|
|Budget ChoiceCheck Price||Craftsman Multimeter With NCV Tester, 34-82007|
|Up to 600V||Low|
|Cheap ChoiceCheck Price||CRAFTSMAN 3482146 Compact Multimeter Kit |
|0.1V to 600V||Medium|
Best 3 Craftsman Multimeter Reviews
These 3 multimeters from Craftsman are top-selling. Those multimeters have some advanced features, and the price is very low if we compare them to other multimeter brands.
Craftsman 34-82141 digital multimeter (Our Top Pick)
For beginners, hobbyists, and DIYers electricians, this is the most suitable Craftsman digital meter to use. It is simple and has easy-to-use features.
In addition, it comes with 8 functions and 20 ranges. Also, it has audible tones below 30 ohms to verify proper wiring and shorts. It is great for carrying out diode tests for electronic and electrical testing. One of the downsides of this meter is that it has manual ranging and does not auto-ranging. But once the starter learns how to utilize manual ranging, it becomes very easy. The meter as well measures up to 600V ac and dc and has a great number of essential functions for electricity-related tests. If you are looking for a cheap but best Craftsman multimeter, then buy this.
Why use this Craftsman 34-82141 digital meter?
- It provides accurate readings through its manual ranging
- The rubber holster that it comes with can prevent the device from crashing or spoiling when it falls.
- It comes with a display screen that makes the reading of values displayed to be easy
- It is sturdily built to last long
- Unlike other quality meters, this one is very affordable
Craftsman 34-82007 digital multimeter
If you are looking for a featured-packed digital multimeter tool on the market, the Craftsman 34-82007 is the most suitable one to have. Also, this gadget is durably constructed and compact in design. It is fully equipped with leads and probes. The large LCD display screen that this meter has provides easy to view readings to the user. Moreover, it has a power-off feature that saves battery power by shutting down the meter when it is idle for 15 minutes. The automatic hold feature enables the user to save readings for later reference. It has the capability to measure temperature, ac/dc voltage, capacitance, frequency, current, and resistance. With a maximum voltage of 600v, this is a great meter to use.
Why use this Craftsman 34-82007 digital meter?
- It is sturdily constructed for longer use
- It is compact in design for easy handling
- Craftsman 82007 comes with a large LCD display screen for quick viewing of the readings
- It has an auto-hold feature that saves the readings when you have nothing to write down on
- This carries out different tests such as resistance, temperature, frequency, current, voltage, and capacitance.
- It comes with a non-contact ac voltage detector for easy reading and detecting of voltages
- The auto-power-off feature enables the meter to save on battery power when idle.
Craftsman 3482146 Compact digital multimeter with AC voltage detector
For professional electricians, this is one of the best digital Craftsman multimeters to use on the market. It is very reliable and accurate.
The Craftsman multimeter is durably made and can withstand different hard conditions. It is suitable for use in homes or industrial repairs and electricity. This multimeter offers accuracy that is unrivaled by many multimeters in the market. The non-contact ac detector that it comes with makes identifying voltage to be easy. Also, it has a large easy-to-read LCD display that makes interpreting readings on the screen to be easy. The rubber holster included in the purchase prevents the multimeter from damage. On purchase of this quality multimeter, the manufacturer gives out a one-year limited warranty.
Why use this Craftsman digital multimeter?
- Sturdy construction for prolonged and safe use
- It has a large LCD display screen for easy viewing of test outcomes
- Comes with a non-contact ac detector for easy identification of voltage
- The rubber holster prevents the multimeter from the harsh environment an electrician works from.
- It is compact to fit in tight areas
- It is very safe to use at home or for industrial use
- The manufacturer offers a one-year warranty
Who makes Craftsman multimeters?
Craftsman multimeters are manufactured by CEM Instruments, a company established in 1991. Those multimeters are made in China and supplied all over the world. They have around 13 production plants and 32 production lines.
What to look for in the best digital multimeter tools?
Electricians functions in tricky environments. Here, the tools that they use such as a multimeter can crash or even fall in the process. For this reason, every electrician should choose a sturdy and shock-resistant meter for their job. Craftsman multimeters are durably built and are shock resistant too. Others are as well dust and waterproof. Picking such a multimeter will guarantee you years of use instead of acquiring fragile and unreliable multimeters.
Related: Fluke 87V Review
If you want to carry out different tests such as temperature, voltage, frequency, resistance, current, capacitance, or even duty cycle, it is important to select a digital meter that has those features. Also, a feature-packed multimeter is likely to be a bit costly and in most cases is needed by professional electricians as most of them are challenging to use. Features like auto-ranging, auto shut-off, audible warning, and True RMS are usually found on high-end multimeters. Craftsman meter comes with various features that vary depending on the model.
As you set out to acquire a multimeter of your choice, ensure that it is able to perform the job that you acquired it for. Some people just buy multimeters without considering what their major function is. There are types that are created specifically for automotive, HVAC, or electronics. There are those meant for starters, and hobbyists, and others are built for expert electricians.
Ease of use
Pick a multimeter from Craftsman or any other brand that is easy to use if you’re a beginner. There are some meters that are complicated to use and not anyone can use them. These are best suited for professionals. The buttons on the device should be clear and the display screen should be large enough. Also, the device should be compact and very easy to handle as a heavy and large meter can be a burden.
There are various brands on the market that sell multimeters. Some pose as the best but their products are bad. Also, there are products that are priced higher but still don’t deliver. If you want a reliable brand to purchase then apart from Fluke, Klein, and Mastech, Craftsman is another excellent brand. It has different types of multimeters for different people.
A multimeter is a device that should provide accurate and precise results. If you want to get the best results, you should consider buying from a brand that offers a warranty. This can help you return or replace a meter if it is damaged. A warranty of one year plus is worth it.
How to use the Craftsman digital multimeter (82140, 82141, or 82082)
- Set the multimeter to its highest range on the Ohms setting. But how to read Ohms on a Craftsman multimeter? The resistance range is 200 ohms to 2 megaohms.
- Now disconnect the electric connection from the circuit or remove the batteries from the device.
- Connect the black probe to the center socket marked “COM.” Attach the red probe to the right-hand socket marked “V-ohms-mA.”
- Plug the probes into electric sockets or battery terminals to get the readings. Don’t let the leads connect for more than 30 seconds.
- If you get the readings, check the resistance. “OL” means open circuit, and “0” means short circuit. Ensure the probes are dry; otherwise, it may lower the resistance readings.
Craftsman multimeters are among the best digital multimeters on the market. The brand offers different types for different uses at varying prices. The multimeters from Craftsman are durably made and are very reliable. With the above Craftsman multimeter review article information, you can now easily choose a multimeter that meets your needs and has the features that you need.
Summary of Contents
- 1 Top 3 Best Craftsman Multimeter Comparison Table
- 2 Best 3 Craftsman Multimeter Reviews
- 3 What to look for in the best digital multimeter tools?
- 4 Bottom line