From the time I’ve been working on electronics and electrical appliances, I’ve used and come across several kinds and brands of multimeters. When I started, I didn’t know how to choose or identify the best. But after years of use, I’ve come to understand how to distinguish between the best multimeters from the less reliable ones. Of all the multimeters that I’ve used to examine frequencies, current, voltage, capacitance, measure temperature, and other tests, the Fluke 87v is the best among them. This is not a basic Fluke multimeter. The Fluke 87V is a Rugged, Reliable, Accurate, Professional quality digital multimeter and perfect for experienced or industrial electricians. Check this Fluke 87V Review(video) to know more about this multimeter.
Technical Features Of The Fluke 87V Digital Multimeter
|Features||Fluke 87V Multimeter|
|Meter Display Resolution:||Digital 6000 counts updates 4/sec.
19,999 counts in high–resolution mode
Analog 32 segments, updates 40/sec
Frequency counter: 19,999 counts, updates 3/sec at > 10 Hz
|DC Voltage:||Maximum voltage:1000 V
Accuracy: ±(0.05% + 1)
Maximum Resolution: 10 µV
|AC Voltage with calibration mode:||Maximum voltage: 1000 V
Accuracy: ±(0.7% + 2) True RMS
AC bandwidth: 20 kHz with low pass filter; 3 dB @ 1 kHz
Maximum resolution: 0.1 mV
|Frequency:||Maximum frequency: 200 kHz
Accuracy: ±(0.005% + 1)
Maximum resolution: 0.01 Hz
|Resistance:||Maximum resistance: 50 MΩ
Accuracy: ±(0.2% + 1)
Maximum resolution: 0.1 Ω
|Capacitance:||Maximum capacitance: 9,999 µF
Accuracy: ±(1% + 2)
Maximum resolution: 0.0
|Duty cycle:||Maximum duty cycle: 99.9%
Accuracy: ±(0.2% per kHz + 0.1%)
Maximum resolution: 0.1%
|Diode test:||Measurement Range: 3 V
Resolution: 1 mV
Accuracy: ±(2% + 1)
|Duty cycle range:||Accuracy: Within ±(0.2% per kHz + 0.1%)|
|Operating Temperature:||–20 °C to + 55 °C|
|Storage Temperature:||–40 °C to + 60 °C|
|Temperature measurement:||–200.0 °C – 1090 °C
–328.0 °F – 1994.0 °F
|Humidity (without condensation):||0% – 90% (0 °C – 35 °C)
0% – 70% (35 °C – 55 °C)
|Vibration:||Per MIL–PRF–28800 for a Class 2 instrument|
|Batteries:||4 AA batteries are required. (included)|
|Battery Life:||Alkaline: ~400 hours typical, without backlight|
The Fluke 87v is a compact and durably made HVAC multimeter. It is simple to hold in hand and has easy-to-use features. But it is not very good for use by a beginner electrician. This unit is ideal for HVAC technicians as it comes with a thermocouple. It has one of the best display resolutions that can enable you to view even the smallest of results. Also, the American-made multimeter shows very highly reliable and accurate measurements. It is not like Fluke 117, which has fewer features. If you are looking for a feature-packed advanced multimeter that is accurate, compact, and very reliable, then this is the tool for carrying out electrical tests.
Summary of Contents
- 1 Technical Features Of The Fluke 87V Digital Multimeter
- 2 Fluke 87v Multimeter Review With Features and Specification
- 3 Why buy Fluke 87V True RMS Multimeter?
Fluke 87v Multimeter Review With Features and Specification
Fluke brand is famous for its high quality and excellent designs of the multimeter. Being the number one brand that they are, the Fluke 87 v is also a well-designed and durable multimeter. It is shock-resistant and compactly built to withstand the hard environment of an electrician. So, you can always rely on it even when it falls or crashes on the wall. It is less likely to spoil at the go due to its sturdiness.
Auto and manual ranging
Unlike other meters on the market, the Fluke 87 v meter has both auto and manual ranging. The auto-ranging feature is ideal for starters, while the manual ranging feature is excellent for experts. But in case you don’t want to waste time, then you can just apply the auto-ranging feature, although the manual always ranges one to narrow down to certain aspects.
Multimeter Fluke 87V Has True RMS Technology
This is a powerful feature to have in a multimeter. If you want to have accurate readings and rely on the meter, ensure that it is a TRUE RMS meter. This feature provides a dose of safety when it comes to precision and accuracy. So, if you are an expert and want a device that offers very accurate voltage readings, then go for the fluke 87 v as it has the True RMS technology.
Automatic shut off
Some take this feature for granted, but it is very important. The auto shut-off feature can help one save on the cost of buying a battery by shutting down. Also, when you forget to turn off your multimeter, it might become unresponsive and start experiencing issues. The automatic shut-off makes sure that the multimeter turns off after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Another wonderful feature of the Fluke 87v multimeter is that it comes with a thermocouple that can be utilized to measure the temperature. This is why it is regarded as an ideal digital meter for HVAC electricians. Also, if you want to measure the temperature of a liquid or object, you can disconnect the thermocouple and perform the test.
Whenever buying a high-quality multimeter, you should check for metal shield safety standards. One of the things that I like about Fluke multimeters is that they are safe to use. The audible warning feature is one of the best safety features that they come with. The Fluke 87 v has an audible warning that signals if you’re doing the wrong thing with the gadget. Cease what you’re doing if you hear the warning. To know what it means, you can always check the instruction manual for reference.
Auto hold function
One of the outstanding features of this multimeter tool is its auto-hold function. After performing the test, the readings are displayed on the screen.
If you don’t have a place to write the reading, you can press the auto-hold function, which will store the results until you overwrite it. This is a great feature.
Fluke 87V offers a lifetime limited warranty
Not all multimeter brands offer a warranty. And even if they offer, there are few brands that provide a warranty similar to that of Fluke brand. Their lifetime limited warranty is an indication that they fully have trust in their products, and that’s why they provide such a strong warranty.
Other Advanced Features
- CAT-III safety rating
- Magnetic hanger
- O-ring gasket jack inputs
- Detailed user manual
- Fuse checker,bar graph & relative modes
- High impedance mode for testing sensitive electronic devices
Why buy Fluke 87V True RMS Multimeter?
- Durably constructed – the Fluke multimeter is sturdily made to withstand different hard conditions that are usually experienced by electricians. It can be used for many years without quickly spoiling as it’s also shock resistant.
- Easy to use – it has easy-to-use yellow function buttons and a display screen that shows all the readings that are recorded after testing sensitive electronics. Also, handling it is very easy as it is compact in design.
- Accurate readings – it is highly reliable and can always deliver precise and accurate outcomes from various tests carried out by electricians or electronic hobbyists.
- Ideal for professional electricians – this is not the best tool for beginners, but professional electricians can heavily benefit from its accuracy. It has several features that can be easily understood by an expert and not a beginner. Check Price
- Reliable product – it doesn’t matter if it’s for measuring temperature, voltage, current, resistance, capacitance, or frequency; this digital meter will still deliver precise and accurate results. The duty cycle jack sockets provide the user maximum protection.
- It comes with a holster for easy storage – the holster that is included with the device plays a huge role during use or when the device is not in use. It helps the user keep the gadget handy and ready to use while in the field.
- It is a bit costly – even though this multimeter is a quality product, it is priced highly. This makes it hard for some people to acquire it, especially beginners.
- The multimeter is not suitable for use by every individual as it is a bit complicated with lots of features.
- Small display – the display of the multimeter might have a higher resolution, but it should be larger than it is currently.
Made by a re-known brand, the digital multimeter Fluke 87v is a quality product that every professional HVAC electrician should have. It comprises a wide range of features that can help in carrying out tests on temperatures, current, voltage, capacitance, frequency, and resistance. This multimeter is small but compact for easy use and handling. It has a small but powerful display screen with a dual brightness feature for easy reading of results. All the readings that it displays are very accurate and reliable.
Though it is a bit costly than other digital HVAC multimeters on the market, it is worth every penny. If you’re a beginner in the electrical field, then this isn’t the meter for you as you might find a hard time using it. Actually, I’ve used single meters for particular tests before I changed to using multimeters that perform various tests in one. And Fluke 87v industrial multimeter won those tests. In this Fluke 87V review article, we have discussed everything that you need to know about the multimeter model.
For the years that I’ve utilized the 87v digital meter, it has never disappointed me up to date. I highly recommend this multimeter as it is very precise, accurate, and as well durable.